Camera Collection 2.0

Yes I know, the first post was called Introduction not Camera Collection 1.0. We can consider that a minor oversight on my part. Today is a continuation of my collection of cameras. Also added to the page are links to InstagramFlickrLomography, and another blog I have on Project Management. The last one is probably not of any interest in regards to photography unless of course, you have a photography project.

Today I want to introduce you to my Soviet-era cameras. I have often heard about quality issues of the communist built cameras but have not had any issues with mine. They often feature very good glass and the metal ones offer a solid feel, while the plastic cameras are the most affordable and can still produce quality shots.

On to the cameras!




The Praktica LTL 3 is one of my favourite cameras
to use.  The weight feels just right, heavy, and the focus on the Pentacon lens is smooth and fast compared to some of the others I have.




















The Lubitel 166 TLR can be tricky to get used to but when I have managed to use it correctly it has produced crystal clear images that rival anything else I have. Plus it is equal parts conversation starter and non-threatening making fun to use around people, street photography for instance.

















The Agat 18K. 35mm half frame. I always have to run a mental checklist with this one because it is so small, just aperture and focus shouldn't be too bad but has escaped me on occasion.



















The Smena 8M is simple and reliable. I will find the actual production numbers for this camera but I believe it was in the millions. The Smena 8M has a large following and rightfully so because they can produce very good results for a moderate cost.










The Etyud is another that is good for starting a conversation. For a very cheaply made fixed focus camera with on a couple of barely adjustable parameters it functions surprisingly well. You just have to consider the results art rather than crystal clear historical representations.


















The Kiev 60 warrants a larger picture. Because of its size and weight, and because of how much I love this camera. Full frame DSLR's are tiny next to it. At 3 pounds without the lens, it is not something you want to carry all day, and yet I do. The shutter slap can be heard from a good distance and feels more like the recoil from firing a gun. Best of all this medium format monster has some of my most beautiful shots.

This completes my Soviet collection, I think. I am often finding things I forgot I purchased. Tomorrow I will introduce you to more of the collection and soon start the in-depth reviews.
As always comments, suggestions, questions and requests are welcome



.

Comments

  1. Just noticed the Etyud is on yesterdays and todays blog. I could edit but lets leave it up because it is cool.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

INTRODUCTION

Cameras Finale